Monday, July 06, 2009

Two steps forward...

And one step back. That's the old adage, no? Well, it seems to be the absolute truth regarding my life at this moment.

A major milestone. We moved my parents back into their home about a week ago. The run up to the big day was, as always, a mad dash. Odds and ends to be finished, lots of details still hanging out. But finished enough for them to get back in, which like kids anticipating Christmas morning, could not come any more quickly.

Top it all off, I foolishly scheduled the LEED exam for the following day. Let me tell you that, had I foreseen the timing of everything, that would have been the last thing I would have done. But, without any more time, I found myself working all day, studying most evenings. Repeating enough to revert to my old school schedule of little sleep and a lot of sugar. A couple of weeks was pretty much my limit.

The move went as smoothly as one could hope, I guess. Furniture got tentatively placed, beds unpacked, window coverings hung to prevent any accidental exposure. Within a day, my parents were sleeping in the place they had been for 25 years before...well, except for our little 6 month hiatus. It was a relief.

The LEED exam also went as well as one could hope, I guess. Passing was the goal, which it pains me to say, since I used to hold myself to high academic aspirations. But things give when time isn't on your side. And neither is the ability to concentrate as you once had. Rusty study skills, distractions left and right, the minor project of our move. Let's just say that, the day before, my confidence was lacking.

A hour and a half of sitting in a silent room was enough for me. I actually closed my eyes when I clicked to end my testing session, as though somehow the potential blow of failure might hurt less if I didn't see it hit me immediately. Lucky enough for me, I can now consider myself an Accredited Professional of the LEED system. And thank god for that.

But highs must be tempered. Late that evening, just a day after my parents had moved, and just 12 hours after the elation of not making an idiot of myself, I sat on the phone, listening to my mom rapturously describe her new jetted tub. Minutes into the converstation I heard my dad yell from behind her "Honey, get buckets. It's raining down here." Let's just say, If I EVER specify jetted tub again, it will be free-standing, with room to access it from any side.

So now, as we wait for parts and a certified repairman, I stare at the holes in the ceiling of the room below my parent's bathroom and think, we'll get there. Only now, it's just a bit later than we thought. So close.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home