Monday, April 10, 2006

Eye Candy 7

I love modelling. Or at least, I loved modelling, since I haven't been doing much of that right now. As an undergraduate, I felt most confident with bass wood in front of me, an Xacto blade in hand, with a new no.11 Blade for making nice, thin, sharp cuts.

[As a side note, if it were up to me, no one would ever use balsa wood. It's a cheap knock off. It's too soft, too fibrous, too easy to snap in the wrong place. It's crap. Believe me. Not worth saving the couple of pennies here and there, because it will drive you insane. Or at least, it almost did that to me. Bygones.]

This model was one of my greater accomplishments. It was a bit ambitious, but I was young then. I had more energy, and the ability to focus. Sadly, I think it was all downhill from there. It is an 1/8" scale model of my proposal for a firestation in the Strip district in the city of Pittsburgh.

The photos below show half of the entire model, which ended up being about 4 feet x 5 feet. I spent so much time in the woodshop that semester that some first year students began calling me woodshop boy. I was covered in sawdust for a couple of weeks at least. Like I said, a bit ambitious.

But it sure had an impact.









Spring 2000 | Studio IV | Final Model

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home